2013-09-04

Amanda Teacher

Have you ever had a whole crowd turn and look at you almost simultaneously? Well I can check that one off my bucket list.  Being the "new beautiful blonde foreign teacher" (yes, that was how I was introduced to the school at the welcome-back-to-school assembly) at an elementary school, I have probably been stared at more times in the past 3 days than in my entire life.  That is definitely true if you include this past month.  However, I have never waved at so many smiling faces as in the past 3 days either.  Sometimes the kids would willing start smiling and waving their hands a potentially wrist snapping pace. Sometimes the kids would just stare with a blank look on their face.  But once I waved and smiled they would join the children from the previous category.  And of course there were some that just kept staring and walked away (awkward).

*Cute story time*
First graders.... so adorable. Today was my first day with the first graders (<- no pun intended).  Occasionally one would come up to me and ask, "你是外師嗎?/Are you the foreign teacher?" or something to that effect. I would respond "是/Yes," and their face would light up like a Christmas tree. For what reason, I have no idea. Maybe it was because they got to speak to the new foreign teacher, maybe it was because I could speak Chinese. You could definitely see the looks of relief on many faces when I was able to ask them in Chinese if they had an English name.  If they already had an English name, they knew how to respond to "What's your name?"  If not, they would just stare, and their face would start to fall until I said in Chinese, "你有英文名字嗎?/ Do you have an English name?" at which point they would confidently answer with "沒有/No." At the end, some just skipped right by me out the door, some purposely came to show me how pretty their new name tag was with their English name, and some came just to whisper "Bye!" before promptly running out the door in sheer terror at what they had just done.  And the best part? The first graders don't ask you too many questions.  So if I don't understand what they say, I can just smile and nod (maybe even throw in a high five), and they are perfectly happy.

Miss Emily..... I didn't learn her name until Day 2, but on Day 1 she walked by my classroom at least 5 times in one day.  Each time she waved from when she could see into the classroom/caught my eye all the way until she couldn't see me anymore (and windows run the full length of the classroom), and I'm pretty sure she doubled back once considering as soon as she disappeared she reappeared for another waving/smiling round. 

I have so far been asked why my eyes are blue. And many Taiwanese are shocked that my curly hair is natural. They can't believe it.  Most thought I permed my hair.  Nope, just add water here.

*Not so cute story*
I was the source of potentially over 50 dares on Day 1... say hi to the foreign teacher and run away giggling with your friends, don't even wait for her to respond. The first couple were funny since I knew I was the shiny new toy so to speak, but I was losing tolerance after #25.  Luckily, they have now switched to "hello teacher" or "老師好."

Teaching so far
I haven't done much teaching so far, only a self introduction. And that went well. I had some funny pictures that the students (aka 小朋友/little friends) loved. I have played some games in certain classes, and so far so good. I'm holding my breath for when we move beyond Day 1 school which could be a whole different ballgame.  *crosses fingers*

Apartment move in!
I am now in my new apartment with my two awesome room mates (one boy and one girl). Two of us share a bathroom and the other gets their own. We live in a FANTASTIC location, and it couldn't be more convenient. So overall, I think I'm really gonna like living here.  Although I am getting eaten alive by 小黑蚊/little black mosquitoes (aka noseeums). But today my teachers shared with me their choice brand of bug spray... ideally the little mosquitoes don't stand a chance.


No comments:

Post a Comment